Have you ever had an idea for an extension but weren’t able to create it because you don’t know how to write with high-level languages such as Java or Kotlin and have only programmed using blocks? Rapid is your solution!
Rapid is an online extension building platform that enables you to create extensions for AI2 and its distribution using coding blocks and simplifies the process of building extensions, even if you don’t have coding experience except in blockly-based programs such as AI2.
Using Rapid, you have access to all Android, App Inventor, Java, and even 3rd party JAR files within blocks. Enabling you to implement almost all of the features that are supported for extensions written in Java. You also have an interface that would help you manage all the different metadata, manifest elements, and information about your extension.
Why Use Rapid?
Rapid provides you with many features that would help you develop extensions more efficiently, whether you are an extension developer or not.
- Blocks Based Coding which is trans-piled directly into Java code.
- A fast and optimized compiler that builds your extension in seconds.
- A neat and customizable user interface that makes it easier to manage your extensions
- Support for External Android, App Inventor, and JAR libraries.
- Proguard and protection of your extension
- Brief explanation of each java error including exact steps to solve it.
- Warnings on block editor for combinations that could result in errors ( ex.: Functions without a return value)
- Auto Fixing for errors in code ( attempting to typecast types where one of them is a subclass of the other under the hood, inferring types of variables, and so on…)
- And much more…!
A very simple extension to add two numbers:
An example to create a TextView (Label) in a layout:
( You don’t need to understand every block function, for now, they will be briefly documented on release to be more understandable and to provide basics for new users ( ex.: contexts, extension containers, and views )
To provide Rapid as a more stable tool. I decided not to launch Rapid directly, but release a private beta version first, which would be tested by the community members to help find bugs, and errors and suggest new features.
Everyone in the community is welcome to help with beta testing (whether you are an extension developer or not ).
To enroll in the Rapid’s private beta testing, please submit here
Registration will be closed on 2022-09-23T16:00:00Z
Thanks in advance to anyone who joins private beta testing. It’s much appreciated.